[ Main Page || Kodak Contacts || FAQs || File Format || Forums ]

This site is not affiliated with the Eastman Kodak Company.

[Register]  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
Cineon Forum Index Discussions / Questions log encoding Q
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Author log encoding Q
ahauser

Posted: 2005-09-21 14:37   
Actually my math is a little rusty.....kinda non existant. Im looking for someone to spell out in dumb speak what and why the gain and offset transforms do. Im using these transforms to help me generate Log 3d cubes from icc profiles.

Adrian

View Profile of ahauser      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
floydboy

Posted: 2005-09-28 16:34   
I have been working on an ICC profile for EK that contains a 3D Lut in 10bit log space. This will transform an image that I have in sRGB space into an image that is 10bit log and has a 3D lut applied to it. Did I mention that I have been doing all this on a Mac platform? They actually make it quite easy to render the image. The hard part was creating the ICC profile which took some doing.

Quote:

On 2005-09-08 11:24, Beak wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-09-06 03:50, floydboy wrote:
Ha! They are still pushing that 3D lut stuff? Talk about something that took a while to render.

You sound as you might have a better idea, is ther something in the works we should know about? (And what could it possibly be...)

Quote:

Well, that was back in those days anyways. I wrote that Cineon node back in 1999 for EK when they were just jumping into D-Cinema stuff.

That's cool. I think one of the reasons it's taking so long, is that everyone is holding on to their own version/standard of the 3d LUT. I hope one day soon there will be an open standard that all vendors will populate, or at least "secret" 3d LUT information will drift out into public domain. If it were up to me, I'd embed a 3d LUT inthe header of a DPX file, as an option to the viewer app, or processing app. Something like half of a truelight color cube, Film stock LUT + scanner calibration + xenon lamp data. User would combine that with their own display info, or sw gamma or other crap, and at the end stage, the recorder/projector could read all that directly from the file and adjust as needed. I'm sure DI people wouldn't mind having that info handy. Kind of like a "clip history" if you will.
OK, that is a better idea

Now that you mention the Silicon Grail and Apple thing, I do recall hearing that rumour, too.
This explains why Cinespeed was floating around EK, and prob still is. Didn't know the grain stuff was kept. They're going to have to give it up someday! If they don't someone else will do it for them, measuring and all kind of science fiction to reproduce grain structures of Kodak stock. That would suck for all parties (it'd be like when your wife/girlfriend buys you clothes...something gets projected in the process (no pun intended (sort of)).
I remember now that SG was going to put some of the stuff into Chalice, before it closed.

PS did anyone check out my RGB -> Yxy gadget yet? Just trolling for some feedback, not a pat on the head. I'd like to improve it someday.

Ciao,

------------Beak

[ This Message was edited by: Beak on 2005-09-08 11:33 ]

View Profile of floydboy   Email floydboy   Goto the website of floydboy        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic