[ Main Page || Kodak Contacts || FAQs || File Format || Forums ]

This site is not affiliated with the Eastman Kodak Company.

[Register]  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
Cineon Forum Index Discussions / Questions Look Up Tables to show raw Cineons on a monitor exactly the same as when filmed out.
Author Look Up Tables to show raw Cineons on a monitor exactly the same as when filmed out.
elcaliban

Posted: 2005-05-05 15:45   
Can someone please tell me AND BE SPECIFIC how to construct a lookup table or add a filter to a cineon sequence in a specific program. The program I use the most is After Effects but I also use Combustion and Shake. What is the exact procedure for getting what I see on my screen to exactly match in color and density, etc. what my print to film is going to look like? Do I use a girlhead with color bars, etc? Do I punch in some numbers? Do I ask the company I use for filmouts to give me specific numbers, like blackpoint, whitepoint, etc.? In Combustion there is a lookup table, a way to give it a filmlook, and in After Effects there is a Cineon Converter in the channel effects. But do the default setting tell me exactly what it's going to look like? Because in AE it looks to be the wrong contrast ratio. If someone is going to answer, please tell me exactly what you'd suggest.

Thanks,

View Profile of elcaliban   Email elcaliban      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
RenderNan

Posted: 2006-10-18 03:28   
I will be SPECIFIC.
-DO NOT USE Cineon Converter in After Effect or any softwares. It's not even close.
-There is no way to create a LUT that make your monitor match any theater screen EXACTLY.
-1D LUTs in any softwares will never give you what you want.
-3D LUT must be used to get reasonable result.

Your files are Log or Linear?

Log : Follow thses steps.
-Buy a very expensive 3D LUT box.
-Get a precise 3D LUT from ARRI (or any...) and put it in the box.
-Buy a very expensive monitor ( complied with ITU-R BT 709-5).
-Now you are ready to prove your files.
-Send your files to Film Recorder ( Your 3D LUT supplier will be the best !!! )
-Enjoy the result

Linear : Follow these steps.
-Buy a very expensive monitor ( complied with ITU-R BT 709-5).
-Now you are ready to prove your files.
-Send your files to Film Recorder coming with advanced CMS ( I recomend ARRI Laser ).
-Enjoy the result

======================================================================================
Good Density Measurement + Precise Monitor Profile + Fine Gammut Mapping Algorithm = Reasonable 3D LUT.
======================================================================================

[ This Message was edited by: RenderNan on 2006-10-18 03:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: RenderNan on 2006-10-19 00:15 ]

View Profile of RenderNan   Goto the website of RenderNan      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Scott

Posted: 2006-10-26 14:42   
Quote:
If someone is going to answer, please tell me exactly what you'd suggest.

I'd suggest using a Cineon workstation with a monitor calibrated via Kodak's MonitorCal utility to view on-screen images as they'll look when projected (or close enough anyway). This is how Kodak customers have done it since 1992.

If I knew for sure how to do the same thing using After Effects and 3rd party software/devices I'd certainly share the info with you. Without a consistent/dependable 'standard' for calibrating the physical display (via a optical sensor/feedback loop) I'd suspect that ANY LUTs you utilize with ANY software will be of limited reliability.

There are a few stand-alone monitor calibration systems from manufacturers including Kodak I believe... you might want to google around for one that simulates film projection (as opposed to pantones for prepress, etc...).

Best of luck regardless.

[ This Message was edited by: Scott on 2006-10-26 14:45 ]

View Profile of Scott   Email Scott      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote

Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic